Throughout its history, the Southern Company system has developed and sustained a highly skilled and stable workforce. For its approximately 26,000 employees, the average age is 46 with an average tenure of 17 years, and turnover of about 5.2 percent in 2013. A stable and highly competent workforce has fueled the company's superior performance in reliability, customer satisfaction and shareholder return. Our deep skills and high percentage of long-tenured employees are evidence of our success in providing a desirable workplace with competitive pay and benefits and ongoing development opportunities. People come to Southern Company for a career, not just a job.
Southern Company system employees bring a strong sense of commitment to the job. Results of the 2013 employee engagement survey show that 90 percent of the workforce has a high level of engagement. Our overall scores are above utility and general industry benchmarks.
Southern Company is readying itself for workforce transitions brought on by a large segment of the employee population becoming eligible for retirement. We must continue to attract, develop and retain skilled workers to ensure reliable supplies of affordable electricity. To do this, we focus on providing a variety of programs designed to meet the needs of our tenured workforce as well as attracting the emerging workforce of the future. These programs include pay and benefit programs, recruitment and retention initiatives, leadership and employee development programs and diversity and inclusion strategies
Valuing and developing employees is one of Southern Company's top five priorities. The people priority states that we will elevate performance in our people and culture through the following ways:
- Continue to demonstrate safety first in everything we do - Target Zero
- Develop leaders and employees at all levels
- Increase accountability with our performance management efforts
- Leverage diversity in every aspect of the business
- Cultivate an innovative culture throughout Southern Company
Diversity and Inclusion
An inclusive work environment is one in which all employees, regardless of their differences, feel welcomed, valued, respected and engaged. Our strategy is to:
- Meet the requirements of our business with people representative of communities we serve and the demographics of the marketplace.
- Develop and sustain relationships with diverse suppliers, including women and minority-owned businesses, to broaden access to products and services and provide economic inclusion.
- Form partnerships to ensure the growth and vitality of the diverse communities we serve and in which we work and live and create business alliances.