Throughout our history, the Southern Company system has developed and sustained a highly skilled and stable workforce. For the more than 26,000 employees who were part of our system in 2015, the average age was 45 with an average tenure of 16 years. Turnover was approximately 5.4 percent in 2015.
A stable and highly competent workforce has helped fuel the company's superior performance in reliability, customer satisfaction and shareholder return. Our deep skills and high percentage of long-tenured employees are evidence of our success in providing a desirable workplace with competitive pay and benefits and ongoing career opportunities. People come to Southern Company for a career, not just a job.
Southern Company system employees bring a strong sense of commitment to the job. Results of our most recent employee survey show that 90 percent of the workforce has a high level of engagement, with overall scores above utility and general industry benchmarks.
Valuing and developing employees is one of Southern Company's top five priorities. The people priority states that we will elevate performance in our people and culture through the following ways:
- Continue to demonstrate safety first in everything we do - Target Zero
- Develop leaders and employees at all levels
- Increase accountability with our performance management efforts
- Leverage diversity in every aspect of the business
- Cultivate an innovative culture throughout Southern Company