NOx, SO2 and PM
Since 1990, our emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are down over 80 percent, while electricity generation has increased about 30 percent to serve growing demand. Performance »
Through 2012, Southern Company:
- Invested about $8.3 billion in environmental controls. Planning to spend at least an additional $3.6 billion through 2015.
- Developed, with U.S. Department of Energy and KBR, the TRIGTM advanced coal gasification technology. This technology turns coal into gas that can be used to generate electricity more cleanly than traditional coal-fired power plants.
- Advanced one-of-a-kind, clean coal power generation, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy at the National Carbon Capture Center in Wilsonville, Ala.
Particulate Matter and Air Quality Research
- SEARCH (Southeastern Aerosol Research and Characterization)
- ARIES (Aerosol Research and Inhalation Epidemiological Study)
Southern Company participates in data collection and research studies. Two leading studies, SEARCH and ARIES, have provided an empirical foundation for air quality policy, practices and emerging issues.
SEARCH monitors the relationship of myriad compounds comprising particulate matter to health effects. ARIES investigates associations between specific air pollution components and human health.
Together, this ongoing research provides data to help establish causal relationships between chemicals in the air and their effects on people, and ultimately air quality standards to safeguard human health.
Diversifying Fuel Options | Building Renewable Resources | Championing Energy Efficiency | New Nuclear | Performance | Mercury | Greenhouse Gases | TRI | Water | Solids | Environmental Performance | GRI Index plus Keywords